Database Searching in LibLit

SEARCH #2: LibLit          STRATEGY: Citation Pearl Growing (Snowballing)

SEARCH STRATEGY: Find another article like this one: Student Inquiry and Web 2.0 By: Berger, Pam. School Library Monthly, v26 n5 p14-17 Jan 2010. (EJ874143)

In this search, I took an article I liked from the building block search and decided to try “snowballing” a search from something very specific. When I located the article on LibLit database, the following subject terms were attached to the article: Web 2.0 which had 243 articlesTechnology and youth which had 24 articles; and Computer-assisted instruction which had 1585 hits.

In the articles under the “technology and youth” subject heading, I found a relevant and interesting article:  Teen Tech Takeover: Using Web 2.0's Experts to Create Your Content. By Chris Shoemaker Voice of Youth Advocates v. 32 no. 6 (February 2010) p. 471. 

Also, a new subject was attached to the article: Web 2.0/Library Applications which led me to 355 articles that were the best so far for my topic. I was surprised at how pertinent these were. I remember now that LibLit is already oriented to library related articles which certainly was an asset in this snowball search. I could continue to modify this search by adding some limiters now or simply browse and choose the articles I like.